Packing and Storage Tips
When thinking about moving day, it’s important to think about where you’ll rent your storage unit along with all the other logistical problems to solve. But it’s also important that you efficiently and correctly pack and store your belongings so that you minimize your work later, prevent damage to your belongings, and maximize the space that you have.
At Universal Storage Group, our expert storage staff have helped customers across the United States with their moves. Step one is packing your belongings. Of course, that’s easier said than done. When packing your belongings, make sure to think ahead as much as possible. Here are our tips.
General Packing Tips
- Put heavy items at the bottom of boxes so they don’t crush other items.
- Wipe metal items with machine oil to prevent rusting.
- Don’t load large boxes with heavy items; pack those in small boxes.
- Label every box on all four sides for easy identification.
- Use color-coded labels by room and be sure not to mix rooms when packing your boxes.
How to Pack Fragile Items
- Put fragile items on the top of their respective boxes so they aren’t crushed.
- Don’t overload boxes. Keep under 30 pounds if possible.
- Clearly label fragile boxes with “FRAGILE.”
How to Pack Furniture
- Remove drawers from furniture. This makes furniture lighter and easier to move.
- Consider using empty drawers as additional storage containers.
- Wrap cushions in plastic and be sure to use furniture padding or blankets to prevent damage.
- Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- Prop up mattresses to stand straight if stored vertically.
Utilizing Your Storage Unit
- Put heavy and bulky items at the rear of your storage unit. This will allow you to more easily arrange it as needed.
- Don’t forget the third dimension. Use shelving or carefully stack your boxes to expand vertically, which will save floor space for items that can’t be stacked or stored on a shelf.
- Use pallets to elevate your belongings to help in the case of a spill, moist concrete, or other water damage.
Contact Your Storage Experts Today
At Universal Storage Group, it’s our aim to make self storage as affordable and simple as possible. Our friendly staff is always at the ready, and if you’ve found yourself without some packing supplies, don’t fret—we sell moving and packing supplies at most of our facilities.
Rent your storage unit at a storage facility near you and get started with your storage journey!